Monday, 21 January 2013

Back from Bangladesh

Hey, my dear reader’s I’m back from my home country and what have I come back to? Bad weather. Well truthfully, it wasn't much better back home. It was very cold and chilly, just without the rain and snow.

So during my holidays I had lots of fun. I went back for my cousin’s wedding, as I mentioned in my previous blog prior to leaving for my trip. There were three major parties. Ceremonies throughout the two weeks I was there, all of which took place after the New Year. 

On the 2nd of Jan was the mehndi party, which is a traditional party which can take place a few days before or even the day before the wedding. All three events were held in the evening at or after 7pm. The bride (my cousins) wore bright yellow and all her friends and I wore purple. I believe it was a good contrast. The evening was enjoyable overall. Relaxing with the family and taking pictures with my cousin.  There was also a yummy cake that we fed the bride and she fed us, and at the end of the evening the cake was cut up and distributed among the guests who attended the party.

On the 4th of Jan (coinciding with my brother’s birthday) was the day of the wedding, again it was an evening programme. This time everyone wore different colours and the bride wore red – similar to chilly red colour. I wore hot pink and my mum wore royal blue. This time I guess the event was more emotional compared to the mehndi party as we were giving the bride away at the end of the night. However before the sad moment arrived, we all did have great fun.

On the 8th January was the walima party and this time we had to travel to Dhaka from Sylhet where the ceremony was taking place. The walima party is from the groom’s side where as the wedding party is from the bride’s side. Considering it takes between 4 to 6 hours by car to get to Dhaka, we all had to wake up quite early. This time it involved an overnight stay at a hotel in Dhaka as it would be too tiring to get there, attend the ceremony and then come back to Sylhet all in one day. The ceremony was once again took place in the evening. The day after the programme, everyone went back to Sylhet and the bride and groom came back to stay with us for a few days.

Overall it was a really good holiday and I enjoyed it very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment